Saturday, June 11, 2005

Turkey City and Tulsa

Lawrence Person has put out the call for another Turkey City workshop to be held in Austin. The last one was hosted by Bruce Sterling at his house Oct. 30, 2004 (the one time I met Bruce Sterling in person). Now that Bruce has left for the West Coast, Person is taking up the administrative duties, such as they are (I understand he used to do this, anyway, before Sterling had started to host them). The workshop filled up fast, but I managed to slide in before it closed.
The folks in Austin have other literary resources to pull from, I imagine. Living like I do all in East Texas, I can use the experience. The previous one was the first writer's workshop I ever attended. When I mentioned that later to Gardner Dozois, he remarked "Well, you sure started at the top."
Anyway, the workshop will be at Person's July 23. The weekend before will be Conestoga 9 in Tulsa. I received word this week of my schedule. I will moderate one of the panels, on "When the Well is Dry: Writer's Block". It will convene at 4 p.m. Saturday, July 16. I will also be a member of the panel on "Influence of Other Genres: Should We Let Them In?" which will be held Sunday at 10 a.m.
They also said I can have a reading at noon Sunday, but since it's opposite the main reading for the Guest of Honor, George R.R. Martin, it'll probably bomb. Oh, well. I've always thought reading were for big authors, like guys who've written novels. Since I've only written short stories, I didn't expect to get a reading slot. It was still nice of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...