Saturday, November 17, 2007

"The Goddess of Bleecker Street"

I think I've put the final polish on "The Goddess of Bleecker Street" tonight. It is another fairly short story - only 1,831 words - but that's all it took. Writing it up as a dialogue saves a lot of words.

I'm wondering whether - having worked out my last two stories in less than 2,000 words - whether its a coincidence or whether my writing is getting tighter.

I've sure jumped around in these two stories - from the 1st century to the near future.

I'm letting the "sourdough" of the "Witch of Waxahachie" arc rise. After dashing off "Holley With an E" and "Ed Sullivan Show Magic", I used up some of my best ideas.

I'm still leaning towards working on "Meet Me at the Grassy Knoll" next. Any time travel story that revolves around the Kennedy assassination is going to have a few strikes against it with the pro editors, but maybe I can pull off what I was credited with doing in "Avatar" and making an original tale from one of the most weather-worn tropes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...