Sunday, April 27, 2008

Back from Austin

I left Friday afternoon to attend the Nebulas Weekend in Austin. Because my roommate left earlier Friday, I took a bus and caught up with him. We drove back up together in his car.

Had a great time visiting with some old friends, including Lee Martindale, Jayme Blaschke, Mel Tatum, Joe Lansdale and Ardath Mayhar, and some people I haven't seen in a few years, such as Stan Schmidt and Geoffrey Landis. I met Paul Stevens and Gordon Van Gelder, who I saw last year at various cons, and I met some people such as Walter Jon Williams, Michael Capobianco, Paul Melko and Sheila Williams that I had never met before.

The awards banquet wasn't too boring. Joe Lansdale's toastmaster speech was a hoot, and Michael Moorcock's Grandmaster speech was fascinating - to me. I bet a lot of old timers found it boring, but a lot of the history he recapitulated was new stuff to me.

The winners by the way were:

Novel: The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon

Novella: "Fountain of Age" by Nancy Kress

Novelette: "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" by Ted Chiang

Short Story: "Always" by Karen Joy Fowler

Script: Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo del Toro

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...