Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"I am a veteran of a war no one remembers."


Lavie Tidhar, at his World SF Blog, publishes fiction every Tuesday, and this week's featured story is "Irredenta". It's a little different for me; it's set off-world, but it's not a space opera. The story was originally described at a workshop as"elegaic". That's a good term, it's melancholy and poignant. Not one of my normal turns.


If you read "Irrendenta" and then "Black Hats and Blackberrys" at Bewildering Stories, you may think I'm a manic-depressive, because the tone of the two stories are so different. "Black Hats" is smart-ass time travel revenge story, while "Irredenta" is about bitterness, loss and, ultimately, redemption.


Not a bad selection of stories, though; great entertainment for all tastes. With the publication of "Hopscotch and Hottentots" at Shadow Gate, anticipated in April, I will have already equalled the number of stories I had published in 2010 - and I think I have another story just about lined up at another venue.
"Black Hats" is the 51st story I've had published since June 2003, and "Irredenta" is the 52nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...