Saturday, August 20, 2011

Disappointments

A few months ago I made plans to offer a class through the continuing education department of the local community college, "The Art and Craft of Writing Speculative Fiction". Plans went well for a while, but about a month ago the department went silent and now communication has completely ceased. I guess the class was rejected and the director didn't want to face me. The only reason I know she's alive is that I saw her picture in the paper. Oh, well.

And over a year ago I sent my novel version of "The Witch of Waxahachie" to a New York publisher. I've queried a few times in the past couple of weeks, but, again, I can't even get a a reply. I suppose no reply is a rejection.

I think during the Recession some people are being stretched so thin at their jobs they can only keep up with bare essentials, and they don't even have time to tell you to go away.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:05 PM

    That's the joy of writing. Lou, what else is new? If I had a dollar for every time a publisher blew me off and didn't even bother to respond... I think it's actually fashionable in New York to not respond to writers. It's certainly not rare or unusual.

    David B. Riley

    ReplyDelete

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...