Monday, January 16, 2012

"Other Worlds Than These"

When I see a call for an anthology, nine times out of ten its theme is not something I'm interested in. My stories tend to be traditional, and upbeat. That's outside the mainstream of s-f these days. But John Joseph Adams is working on an anthology with the theme of "Other Worlds Than These", which he touts as follows:

“What if you could not only travel any location in the world, but to any possible world?

“We can all imagine such “other worlds” - be they worlds just slightly different than our own or worlds full of magic and wonder - but it is only in fiction that we can travel to them, and this anthology will explore that concept - the idea of a person or persons from our world traveling to other worlds or alternate realities.

“This anthology will collect the best of these "parallel worlds" stories, alongside the best "portal fantasy" stories. As I’ve done with most of my other anthologies, I’d like to solicit recommendations, so if you have any outstanding examples of this kind of fiction you’d like to point out to me, please feel free to let me know about them by entering them into this database.

“I'm primarily interested in short fiction, but if you want to recommend novels or novel series, that is welcome too, as I may include a "for further reading" list in the anthology.”

I sent him off “Avatar” – which is an alternate history – and “The Witch of Waxahachie” – which is a portal story. Both are Honorable Mentions in the YBSF.

The only case so far where I’ve had a story included in a themed anthology was when “Good News for the Dead” was included in Carol Hightshoe’s “Zombified”.

“Avatar” and “Witch” are two of my better efforts. “Avatar” is the only story I’ve ever written than had only positive reviews. “Witch” still stands as my largest sale – Baen’s Universe paid me eight cents a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...