Saturday, May 12, 2012


Well, the comments about "Great White Ship" on the Daily Science Fiction Facebook page have been pretty positive.
Some people seem to think writing using dialect or regional authenticity is illiterate. I ran into the same kind of comments about "A Rocket for the Republic".
  1. Lou Antonelli: "Great White Ship" - Email featured science ficiton story for 5/11/2012.
     ·  · 
    • William Ledbetter and 4 others like this.
      • Steven Doyle Does DSF employ an editor? The frustrating thing is, this could have been a really good story, given a little help. (An airport bar doesn't have the charm of Gavagan's Bar or The White Hart, but the location was relevant to the story.)
      • Gregg Chamberlain seven... this story has that sense of wonder i always look for in most of my short sf.
      • Walter Giersbach This is a fine alternate-history tale in large part because it relies on character as much as expository story writing. Good job, and just five days after the 75th anniversary of the Hindenburg's last flight. (Yep, I live next door to Lakehurst-Dix-McGuire and can see the hangars from my house.)
      • Anna Berg Loved the story, but 100% agree with Steven that it needed another pass. There were too many colloquialisms (I went to wave) and the ending seemed off. Still glad to have read it though! :)
      • Lauren Liebowitz Maybe this is because I live in Texas, but I didn't notice any weird or jarring colloquialisms - the whole thing was in someone's voice, so it sounded appropriate to me.

        I thought it was charming!
      • Gregg Chamberlain i also feel that any colloquial text was appropriate for the setting. actually, i kept picturing the actor who played the father in Ugly Betty and the guy who played the silent native American in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as the old soon-to-retire latino airman and Billy Mack the tower control operator who were both present when the lost airship showed up out of the storm during their watch.
      • William Ledbetter Read it this morning, Lou. Great story. Very entertaining!
      • Joy Fleisig Nice take on the Hindenburg and alternative history. My father, who was almost 12 at the time, "took credit" for blowing the Hindenburg up, it passed over his house and he thought "die, you Nazi bastards!"

        I'll see about turning this into a story one of these days.
        Yesterday at 11:50am via mobile · 
      • Howie Erickson Great story - one tech question though. Would the airship dump ballast on landing? Wouldn’t that make the airship ship rise? I probably don’t understand enough about airships but one of the worries I have is getting the technology wrong in one of my stories. Lou, if you have time I would like your comments on this.
      • Lou Antonelli From what I read, once you landed you dumped the water ballast to make the airship easier to maneuver - make it lighter, in case the ground crew had to wheel it around or pivot it around the mast. You reloaded the ballast tanks with water when you were ready to leave again. Then again, I might have misinterpreted what I read. Then again and again, we we say in the newspaper business, "never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
        Yesterday at 1:06pm ·  ·  1
      • Alexander Floyd Jordan Loved it. Aircraft, secrets, parallel histories, and storms create an amazing illusion.
        I actually agree with Mr. Doyle for once (its a mad world, after all). 6, almost 7, shouldve been an 8. A little more would have sent this story someplace beyond exceptional. The author did what he set out to accomplish, so in my book, he can add one more notch on his stick from me. Thank you for sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...