Sunday, June 24, 2012

SoonerCon - Sunday

Sunday was really my day at the Con. It started with a koffeeklatsch in the Con Suite. I had a nice long chat with Eric Flint, who bought The Witch of Waxahachie at Baen's Universe. Eric recalled that we haven't actually met since the NASFIC in 2007. I was also introduced to Peter Beagle, whom I had never met before.

In the hall I met Allison Stein, who did the cover for Music for Four Hands, and David Carrico, who I've met at other cons on Oklahoma. David said he had bought a copy of Music for Four Hands but hand forgotten to bring it. I told him to mail it and I would sign it, and he later did.

My first panel was When Supernatural and History Collide at 11 a.m. I was the moderator and my fellow panelists were Lee Martinez, Deborah Chester,  Brad Sinor, Craig Wolf, and Jeff Provine. There was a good crowd and the panelists were very involved, so it went very well.

I had a panel right after, at noon, called Crypotozoology in Urban Myth - again I was moderator - and I was joined by James Burk, Mark Finn, Neal Hallford, and Kevin Hopkins. Again, very good audience, lots of people, and things went very well.

I had a break for an hour and then a signing at 2 p.m. I sat with Mark Finn. The signing table was at the head  off the hallway where the traffic passes on the way to the panel rooms, so traffic passed us by and really didn't stop. This didn't seem to be a good set-up and the results were accordingly disappointing. I sold maybe two books.

By the time I had my last panel, on Airships and Aether at 3 p.m., not only had con-goers begun to drift home, but also most of the panelists. Jeff Provine and I were the only panelists left; I know Ethan Nahte had already left, and Adrian Simmons apologized to me earlier in the day. I think we had an audience of five, so things definitely petered off.

After the closing ceremony, Bev and Mike and others, a total party of eight, went to an Indian restaurant. The restaurant put out some extra offerings for fathers' day. We were there two or three hours, and had a great old time. Peter Beagle was there and it was nice to visit for such a long time.

Bev and Mike put me up for another night, and then I left OKC at 6 a.m. Monday morning. I was back in Mount Pleasant by 11 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...