Saturday, May 11, 2013

"If it wasn't for bad luck..."

One of the strangest things about the series of events during the past two months which have conspired to keep me from writing (believe me, I've only touched the tip of the iceberg) is that, a few months ago I came up with an outline for a steampunk novel I was enthused about  - to be called "Empress Theodosia's Wake" - and I got off to a great start when that server crash happened.

That stopped that. It was the first time I had come up with an original story that I thought I could see all the way to completion - "The Witch of Waxahachie" rests firmly on the foundation of the Baen's Universe story that was published in 2008.

I hope to get back to "Theodosia" soon, but the reason I picked "The Witch of Waxahachie" back up is because at one point a character from the magical alternate reality comments that our luck in our world is mostly bad because of the crappy black magic our satanists practice; it's left a lot of negative energy hanging around, like air pollution. In the other world, they know how to work magic properly, and because they believe in magic - even the black kind - they police it much better. In their world, black magic is a crime and policed, while in our world, it's not supposed to exist - but it does, and it mucks up our supposedly random probabilities.

I was thinking of that because of the bad luck I had, and besides, "The Witch of Waxahachie" is already written and could be revised in time for the conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...