Sunday, January 04, 2015

That's gratitude for ya'

Well, after seven and a half years at the same newspaper, the current publisher bounced me on Friday. The paper changed owners last June, and really, that was to be expected. I worked hard and did a good job, but times change.

I worked seven years for a local family that owned the paper. Newspapering is never easy, but at least they cared about their employees, and tried to be considerate of them. Struggling through the Recession plus the problems peculiar to the newspaper business put the family behind the proverbial eight-ball, and they had to sell out.

I'm proud I stuck with the job as long as I did. I leave with a certain sense of liberation. It's been hard work, and I'm sure better things are in the future.

I had a nice, long talk with Joe Lansdale Saturday, the conclusion of which was that Joe said it's time for me to write a novel. I'm sure he's right. I've spent the weekend getting stuff organized, and after I secure what Ardath Mayhar would call "an eating job" - or apply for unemployment - I'll get after it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...